Tuesday, June 2, 2009

April 16th, 2008- Why I'm Voting for Barack Obama

As I sit in my college dorm watching the Democratic debate, I become more and more excited to see what Barack Obama can do for this country. I admire the way he thinks, they way he carrys himself, and they way he, unlike any other politician addresses the issues that are on our minds. After Rev. Wright's comments surfaced, Barack Obama was attacked all over the country, people asked, "how could you sit while this man said what he said?" Regardless of how I feel about Rev. Wright's comments, I have to hand it to Sen Obama for not doing what I know Hillary would have done if she was in the same situation, for not evading the issue, but rather, tackling it head on. I think part of the reason so many people are disenchanted with politicians, is because they always seem to give us the run around. They never seem to want to answer the questions dead on. Obama did. He brought up the elephant in the room, he talked about race. A topic that is in the very heart of this country. Race, and our issues with race, in some aspects, have defined this country. Yet for some reason, everytime one brings it up, they're either pegged as a racist, or someone with a chip on their shoulder. Obama talked about the things that have been in the back of so many of our minds. Thats indicative of a real leader. It is also what sets Obama apart from his Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton. She's a politician, he's a leader. She has spent more of her campaign beating up on Obama, and trying to find flaws within him, then talking about the real issues that affect our lives, and how she will address them. It sickens me the bickering that Clinton has participated in, she has spent more effort in her campaign complaining about Obama, then handling her own affairs.
But this isn't about Clinton, it's about who can bring my country together. And that is our key issue, unity. I do believe that 95% of politicians who go into public office, had good intentions when they started working in policy. But somehow someway, for Senators specifically, when they get to the capital, they seem to get caught up in the political games that prevent our country from progressing. They won't vote on bills because someone on the "other side of the aile" came up with it. They become caught up in "you scratch my back," "I'll scratch yours" games. They put the needs of American citizens on the backburner, in order to futher their own political career, they don't want to talk about issues that are too sticky, too controversial, if the media isn't talking about it, then they wont talk about it. No one wants to talk about the unequitable drug sentencing, the issues in our judicial system, why, because they're afraid people will think that they are not "tough" on crime. What happened to honest leaders, who took the road less traveled, who talked about the things everyone was running away from, individuals who weren't afraid to be disliked as long as they knew they were doing the right thing, did they ever exist?
I see a true leader in Obama. I am a spiritual person, and I use teachings from The Bible to guide me in my life. I know that the Bible says, "and a child will lead them," (Isaiah 11: 6) The first thing Clinton pointed out with Barack Obama, was is lack of experience in Washington. In the beggining she built her campaign on "experience." But to me, a person who has spent years in Washington DC, working day in and day out with politicians, probably has a lot of backs to scratch, probably has adapted to the ways of politicians. I want a fresh voice, a fresh face, I want someone with a vision, not just an ambition. Both individuals are ambitious, but in my heart, I feel that much of Hillary Clinton's ambition is selfish. She reminds me of every other politician before her. She is caught in the same Baby Boomer divide that Republicans from her generation are caught in. What liberals and conservatives alike fail to understand is that nothing can be accomplished politically, in terms of legislation with out bipartisanship. Not unless you can get a Senate that is 80% Republican or 80% Democrat. So that as it is, we have to work together. It's something will all learned in kindergarden (maybe it's been so long since Hillary has been there that she forgot.) We have to compromise, we have to work together. It seems so basic, but it's essential. It's what I admire about Obama, his belief in working alongside both Republicans and Democrats to get things done. I have yet to hear about Hillary Clinton working in tandem with Republicans (as much as I disagree with them) in order to accomplish something. But it is what this country is about, working with and LISTENING to people that we are in disagreement with.
Hillary called Obama an elitist. (Even though, if we're thinking about tangible displays of elitism, the Clintons are in a VERY elite tax bracket that most Americans cannot even dream of. Whereas Barack and Michelle, relatively speaking are probably the poorest couple in the election- Republican or Democrat.) Hillary has been name calling all along. But this name was interesting to me, because she's been the one picking on him for being such a great orator, for being so intellegent, and I wonder, what has happened to this country, once a country of thinkers and philosphers, that being well spoken, makes you docile? What Obama said about voters from Pennsylvania, was poorly worded, but it made some sense (I'm not a politican, so I can say that.) But what is so ironic about the Hillary campaign jumping on his words, is that she is the one who says, (I'm paraphrasing) 'I'm about action, not words, I'll let Obama be the orator.' But when you think about it, Obama's words here, are not as detrimental as Clinton's actions toward the working class people of Pennsylvania. Hillary has voted in favor of the free trade agreements that sent these people's jobs and livelyhoods abroad. So I'd rather Obama call me 'bitter' than send my job and subsequently my way of putting food on my family's table to Mexico.
Obama made the majority of his campaign funds from students like me sending $5 or $10 to his campaign online. Hillary has collected money from all types of politicans and wealthy individuals, and when the going got tough, she put $5million of her own in the pool. (Obama, like the average American doesnt have 5 million to throw into a campaign) Obama has built his campaign from the ground up, something so rare in todays political machines. Hillary collected her money the same way McCain did, and probably the same way Bush did. Obama can work with politicians to get things done, but he is not one of them.
Obama understands Americans, he understands that this country was built on optimism and hope. People laugh when he uses those words, but when did hope and faith become taboo? When did we become so cyncical and disenchanted that when someone talked about "The Audacity of Hope" we rolled our eyes. Obama is so refreshing, he is the light in the dark room. He is incredibly honest, and incredibly intellegent. Unlike other politicians, he told us from the beggining about his mistakes and flaws (drug use in college) and to me, it made him more human. I want a President who did some dumb things in college, who grew and questioned themself for years, before they got to where they are now. But more importantly, Obama understands and relates to people.
As I read Dreams from My Father, I realized that he has observed people from various walks of life, and paid close attention to their needs and their lifestyles, for anyone skeptical, he can sit down and talk with you, and you will leave convinced. I'll admit, I was doubtful initially. As a black woman who has seen a glimpse of the racism imbedded in this country's psyche, I didn't think he could garner the support from white consituents. But that's what makes him so unique, his ability to relate to people who normally would have nothing to do with a Black man. I am still a John Edwards fan, and I will probably always be. I agree with much of Edwards' policy, but now that he is no longer in the race, it has allowed me to pay closer attention to Obama, I have been priveleged to see his negotiation skills, his wit, his intellegence, and his understanding of real people.
Obama has a dream of bringing this country together, whereas everyone else wants to keep doing things the way they have been done, keep scratching their friends backs, and following the trends. Everytime I hear the Yes We Can speech, I remember that this man is different. He is not like the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment